Afghan cuisine is a celebration of vibrant spices and rich flavors that have been perfected over centuries. One dish that captures the essence of this culinary heritage is Afghani Chicken. Tender pieces of succulent chicken are marinated in a mix of aromatic spices, yogurt and lemon, creating a dish that is both hearty and unforgettable. In this blog post, we will walk you through the steps to prepare this delicious Afghani Chicken Recipe so that you can bring the taste of Afghanistan to your kitchen.
1 kg chicken, cut into pieces
1 cup plain yogurt (Greek yogurt works well, too)
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tbsp ginger paste
1 tbsp garlic paste
1 tbsp ground coriander
1 tbsp ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground cardamom
1/2 tsp ground clove
juice of 1 lemon
Salt and pepper to taste
chopped fresh coriander
- Yogurt, vegetable oil, ginger, garlic, coriander, cumin, turmeric, cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, lime juice, salt, and pepper should all be combined in a sizable mixing basin.
- Blend thoroughly until you have a smooth, well-blended marinade.
- Add the chicken pieces and thoroughly bathe them in the marinade.
- on improve the flavor of the chicken, make sure the mixture is applied evenly on the meat.
- For the chicken to soak up the flavor, cover the bowl with plastic wrap and place it in the refrigerator for at least 2-4 hours (but better overnight).
- Preheat your oven to 200°C (390°F).
- If you don’t have an oven, you can use a grill or stovetop pan as a substitute.
- Line a baking tray with aluminum foil and spray it with a little oil or cooking spray to prevent sticking.
- Place the marinated chicken pieces in a single layer on a baking tray, making sure not to crowd them too much.
- This will help the chicken to cook evenly and have a nice colour.
- Bake the chicken in the preheated oven for about 25-30 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and tender.
- The exact cooking time may vary depending on your oven, so keep an eye on the chicken to avoid overcooking it.
- Once the Afghani Chicken is ready, take it out in a serving plate.
- Garnish the dish with slivered almonds and chopped fresh coriander, which add a delightful crunch and fresh aroma to the dish.
- Serve the Afghani Chicken hot, garnished with lemon wedges, which can be squeezed over the chicken for extra flavor.