Skip to content
If you enjoy South Indian food, you’ve probably tried or heard of the delectable medu vada. Popular savory snack Medu Vada, sometimes referred to as Ulundu Vada, originates from the southern region of India. It has captivated the hearts of culinary enthusiasts all around the country and abroad with its crispy golden-brown outside and soft, fluffy interior. I’m thrilled to provide to you today a traditional medu vada recipe that will enable you to make this delicious treat in your own home. So let’s begin this fantastic cooking adventure!
To make approximately 15 medu vadas, you will need the following ingredients:
1 cup urad dal (black gram without skin)
1-2 green chilies, finely chopped
1 inch piece ginger, finely grated
few curry leaves, finely chopped
1 tbsp finely chopped fresh coriander leaves
1 tsp cumin
a pinch of asafoetida
salt to taste
oil for deep frying
water, as needed
Soak Urad Dal:
- Wash the urad dal in cold water till the water runs clear.
- Soak the dal in enough water for at least 4 hours or preferably overnight.
- This step is necessary to ensure that the vadas become soft and fluffy.
- Strain the soaked dal and put it in a blender or food processor.
- Add chopped green chillies and grated ginger to the lentils.
- Grind the mixture into a smooth, thick batter, adding a few tablespoons of water as required.
- Avoid adding too much water to maintain a thick consistency.
- Pour batter into a large mixing bowl.
- Add finely chopped curry leaves, green coriander, cumin, asafoetida and salt to the batter.
- Mix everything well to distribute the flavor evenly.
Shape the Wadas:
- On medium heat, warm the oil in a deep frying pan.
- Meanwhile, keep a small bowl of water nearby to wet your hands while shaping the vadas.
- Take a small portion of the batter and make a ball out of it.
- Flatten the ball slightly and make a hole in the center with your thumb to give it a classic donut shape.
Fry the Vadas:
- Depending on the size of your pan, carefully drop the sized vadas into the hot oil, a few vadas at a time.
- Fry them till they turn golden brown and crisp from both the sides, taking care that they cook evenly.
- Remove the fried vadas from the oil using a slotted spoon and place them on a plate covered with paper towels to absorb excess oil.
Serve and Enjoy:
- Your delicious medu vadas are ready to be served!
- Enjoy them hot with coconut chutney, sambar, or even some tangy tomato chutney.
- Medu Vadas are perfect for breakfast, appetizer or even as a side dish to your main meal.
There you have it – a simple yet authentic medu vada recipe that will undoubtedly impress your family and friends with its irresistible taste and texture. Whether you’re an experienced cook or just starting out on your culinary journey, this delicious snack is worth a try. So, put on your apron and get ready to savor the flavors of South India right in your kitchen. Happy Cooking!