When it comes to comforting and wholesome food, few dishes can compete with the eternal appeal of curd rice. Also known as “Thayir Sadam” in South India, this delicious mixture of rice and yogurt has been a staple of Indian cuisine for centuries. Not only does it delight the taste buds with its tangy and creamy taste, but it also offers a number of health benefits. In this blog post, we will explore the traditional curd rice recipe and guide you through the steps to create this culinary masterpiece in your own kitchen.
1 cup cooked rice (preferably short grain rice)
1 cup plain yogurt (yogurt)
1/4 cup milk (optional, to adjust consistency)
1/4 cup grated cucumber (optional)
1/4 cup grated carrot (optional)
2 tbsp finely chopped coriander leaves
1 tbsp finely chopped ginger
1 tbsp finely chopped green chilies (adjust according to spice)
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp cumin
1 tbsp cooking oil (preferably mustard oil)
a pinch of asafoetida
some curry leaves
salt to taste
Step 1: Cooking the Rice
- Firstly, cook the rice till it becomes soft and puffy. You can use a rice cooker or a saucepan for this purpose.
- Once the rice is cooked, let it cool down to room temperature. It is recommended to use short grain rice as it gives the perfect texture to the curd rice.
Step 2: Preparing the Vegetables
- Grate some carrots and cucumbers if you decide to serve veggies with your curd rice.
- Ginger, green chilies, and green coriander should be finely chopped. These vegetables give the dish a sense of freshness and depth of flavor.
Step 3: Tempering the Spices
- Cooking oil should be heated in a small pan over medium heat. Add the cumin and mustard seeds, then watch them crackle.
- Asafoetida and curry leaves should then be added, enabling their aromatic flavor to permeate the oil. Turn off the flame and wait a moment for the tempering to cool.
Step 4: Mixing Curd
- In a mixing bowl, take the cooled cooked rice and add plain yogurt to it.
- Gently mix them together until the rice is evenly coated with curd.
- The curd should be smooth and creamy, allowing the rice to bind together.
Step 5: Mixing the Vegetables and Spices
- Now add grated cucumber, carrot, chopped coriander, ginger and green chillies to the mixture of curd and rice.
- Sprinkle some salt as per taste. For a creamier texture, you can also add a quarter cup of milk at this stage.
Step 6: Final Touches
- Finally, add the tempering spices (mustard seeds, cumin seeds, asafoetida and curry leaves) over the curd rice.
- Gently mix everything together, ensuring that the tempering is evenly distributed throughout the dish.
- The aromatic flavor of the tempering spices infuses the curd rice, taking its taste to new heights.
Step 7: Let It Rest
- Cover the bowl and put the curd rice in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes to an hour.
- This resting period allows the flavors to meld together, resulting in a more flavorful and full-bodied flavor.
Step 8: Serve and Enjoy
- Take the curd rice out of the refrigerator and mix it one last time after it has rested. Your mouthwatering curd rice is now prepared for serving. Take advantage of it as a chilly summer supper or a side dish with your preferred curries and pickles.
- In addition to being delicious, curd rice is a stomach-friendly dish that promotes digestion and helps people stay cool during the sweltering summers. People of all ages love it for its simplicity and adaptability. Don’t skip making this traditional Curd Rice dish the next time you’re in the mood for something good and simple to make because it is the definition of comfort food and will never let you down.