Kadai Paneer is a beloved Indian vegetarian dish that perfectly encapsulates the rich and aromatic flavors of traditional North Indian cuisine. This delicious recipe combines succulent paneer (Indian cheese) with a mix of bell peppers, onions, and savory spices, all cooked together in a kadai (a traditional Indian skillet). With its delightful mix of textures and savory flavours, Kadai Paneer is a crowd pleaser that can be enjoyed by vegetarians and non-vegetarians alike. So, let’s embark on this culinary adventure and learn how to make this delicious dish!
To make this scrumptious Kadai Paneer, gather the following ingredients:
250 g paneer, cut into cubes
1 large green capsicum, thinly sliced
1 large red bell pepper, thinly sliced
1 medium sized onion, finely chopped
2 medium sized tomatoes, finely chopped
2-3 green chilies, finely chopped (adjust as per your spice preference)
1 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
1/2 tsp cumin
1 tsp coriander powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp garam masala
1 tbsp Kadai Masala (a blend of dry roasted spices – available in Indian stores)
1/2 cup fresh coriander leaves, finely chopped
2 tbsp cooking oil
salt to taste
Step 1: Preparing the Paneer
- Cut paneer into small pieces and soak them in warm water for about 10 minutes.
- This will make the paneer softer and more juicy.
- After soaking, drain the water and keep the paneer pieces aside.
Step 2: Frying the Paneer
- Heat one tablespoon of cooking oil in a wok or large pan over medium heat.
- As soon as the oil is hot, add paneer pieces to it and fry them till they become light golden brown from all the sides.
- Take out the paneer from the pan and keep it separately.
Step 3: Preparing the Kadai Paneer Masala
- If necessary, add one tablespoon more cooking oil to the same pan.
- Heat it on medium flame.
- Add cumin and let it crackle.
- To that, add a finely chopped onion and cook until translucent.
- Add ginger-garlic paste and green chillies. Fry for another minute till the raw aroma disappears.
Step 4: Add Spices and Tomatoes
- Reduce the flame to avoid burning the spices.
- Incorporate the kadai masala, turmeric, and coriander powder.
- Mix well with the roasted ingredients.
- Add finely chopped tomatoes and cook till they become soft and the oil starts separating.
Step 5: Introduction of Bell Peppers and Cheese
- Now add finely chopped green and red capsicum to it.
- Keep stirring for a few minutes till they become slightly soft but still retain their crispness.
- Gently pour the fried paneer pieces into the kadhai and mix everything together, making sure that the paneer and vegetables are evenly coated with the masala.
Step 6: Finishing Touches
- Sprinkle garam masala and add salt as per your taste.
- Allow the flavors to mingle together for an additional 2 to 3 minutes of cooking.
- finally, garnish with freshly chopped coriander leaves to add freshness.
Step 7: Serve Kadai Paneer
- Pour the Kadai Paneer into a serving dish, and it is ready to be relished! Serve it hot with freshly made Indian bread like naan or roti, or enjoy it with steamed rice for a wholesome meal.
The Kadai Paneer recipe is a testimony to the richness of Indian spices and the versatility of paneer. It is a delectable dish that brings together rich flavors in every bite. Whether you are a seasoned cook or just starting your culinary journey, this recipe is sure to impress your family and friends with its authentic taste and lovely aroma. So, head to your kitchen, grab your kadhai, and embark on a journey to savor the goodness of Kadhai Paneer – a true Indian culinary masterpiece!